Overview of financial year 2017/18 and outlook
The following section will report on continuing and discontinued operations.
- Like-for-like sales increased by 0.7%; reported sales declined by −1.6% to €36.5 billion (in local currency: 0.7%)
- EBITDA excluding earnings contributions from real estate transactions amounted to €1,396 million (2016/17: €1,436 million); reported EBITDA reached €1,525 million (2016/17: €1,611 million)
- Profit or loss for the period amounted to €348 million (2016/17: €345 million)
- Earnings per share: €0.95 (2016/17: €0.89)
Financial and asset position
- Net debt remained at the previous year’s level of €3,2 billion € (30.9.2017: €3,1 billion)
- Investments amounted to €0.8 billion (2016/17: €0.8 billion)
- Cash flow from operating activities reached €0.9 billion (2016/17: €1.0 billion)
- Total assets amounted to €15.2 billion (30/9/2017: €15.8 billion)
- Equity: €3.1 billion (30/9/2017: €3.2 billion); equity ratio: 20.5% (30/9/2017: 20.3%)
- Long-term rating: BBB– (Standard & Poor’s)
Outlook of METRO
The outlook is based on the assumptions of stable exchange rates and no further adjustments to the portfolio and is given only for the continued operations of METRO. Our reporting also assumes a continuously complex geopolitical situation.
Despite the persistently challenging economic environment in particular in Russia, METRO expects to see an increase in overall sales in the range of 1–3% for financial year 2018/19, mainly driven by Eastern Europe (excluding Russia) and Asia. For Russia, a measurable trend improvement is expected.
METRO equally expects an increase in like-for-like sales in the range of 1–3% in financial year 2018/19, also mainly driven by Eastern Europe (excluding Russia) and Asia. For Russia, a measurable trend improvement is expected.
EBITDA excluding earnings contributions from real estate transactions is expected to decrease by around 2–6% compared to financial year 2017/18 (€1,242 million), particularly driven by an expected double-digit percentage decrease in the segment Others (2017/18: €−129 million) as well as by an expected mid- to high-single-digit percentage decrease in the segment Russia. For all other segments an EBITDA around previous-year level is expected.