Reformulated productsZero HungerGood Health and Well-BeingResponsible Consumption and Production
Definition: Target is to reduce min. 5% sugar/salt content in at least 30 common sourced and 500 local sourced products each globally by december 2021. We published our Health & Nutrition policy in 2019. Read more about achievements of our countries.
Cage free eggsResponsible Consumption and ProductionLife on Land
Explanation: METRO stores in Germany and Austria have not been stocking battery hen eggs in their own brand assortments for several years – neither shell eggs nor liquid eggs nor as an ingredient.
In addition, METRO wants to ensure that all shell eggs and liquid egg products of its own brand are 100% cage-free in Western and Southern Europe by the end of 2022 and cage-free in Eastern Europe by the end of 2025. The in-store promotion of alternative and sustainable farming methods such as stable and free-range management for laying hens is an important factor for enabling customers to make a conscious purchasing decision and thus promote sustainable consumption (METRO Commitment on cage eggs for Own Brand Assortment).
Sales of regional productsDecent Work and Economic GrowthResponsible Consumption and ProductionLife on Land
- Proximity (main and/or value giving production OR ingredient 100% from a region OR x km around store),
- Additional 2 out of:
- Transparency and traceability of product
- Producer is a small holder producer
- Producer supports local/regional infrastructure and economy
- Product is produced in traditional way or based on traditional recipe
- Product is a re-discovery of old varieties
- Product must create association to region for customer
- Geographically indicated products are not (necessarily) “regional” products!
In 2018/19 METRO Germany sold 11.8 m € of regional products, promoted in a special leaflet.